I think it’s safe to assume that one of the most popular Oprah segments of all time is her “Favorite Things” shtick. People probably had dreams about being in the audience and hearing the words, “You get a car, You get a car. YOU GET A CAR!” I mean, the woman has literally outfitted her entire audience with everything from her candles of choice to real automobiles!
I’m no Oprah, but I do always have a short list of my favorite places, things and people, filed away in my head. And when I love something, like really effing love it, I’m basically like a walking advertisement telling anyone who will listen. You know, minus the giant neon spinny sign, a meth addiction and crazy dance moves on the corner of 441 and Glades Rd.
Sometimes, you just have to appreciate the awesome stuff at your fingertips in your very own backyard. I have always loved feeling like a local, wherever I live. I love walking into a dry cleaner or a restaurant and having them know me by first name or recognize me right away as a regular. It’s one of those things that make this ginormous, jaded world we live in, feel just a little warmer. I am super loyal if I find a brand, restaurant or even doctor I love. And if I get an “experience” vs. just a product or service, I am totally yours forever.
There is nothing better than stumbling on something in your neck of the woods that you love so much it becomes an obsession, am I right?
So I decided to share of some of my current FAVE local spots, shops, and people, etc. to show the locals that I love, some love. Yes I frequent some behemoth brands like my daily Starbucks, but I also think it’s super rad to support our local peeps.
And before you ask, these are not paid promotions. Nobody is giving me anything in exchange. This is truly a pure, unadulterated list of one Boca gal’s regular haunts.
Here we go…
- Nail Depot (East Boca location). When I met my manitherapist, Stephanie, it was basically love at first sight. So much so, that after my very first appointment a few years ago, I booked a standing every other week spot with her. Not only does she give good nail, but she is hilarious and has become more than my manitherapist. She has become a friend. I’m not even lying. We have an ongoing group text with another Depot gal (Kelly – who I love too, but she ditched us to move to the boonies). We laugh the entire time I’m there, and unlike most places where I just don’t want to make convo when I’m pampering myself, we do not shut our mouths and we hug after every appointment. She’s the best!
- Samantha Lea. Nobody is allowed near my hair except for Samantha. I did know Sam personally wayyyyy before I moved back to Florida, but that’s not what has kept me loyal to her for the last handful of years. She’s like the hair whisperer. Everyone I have sent her way loves her. She cuts (and colors) my hair, my daughter’s hair (she’s a saint) and my husband’s hair, among countless friends. Who has the energy to find someone for color, someone for cut and someone for blowouts…what do I look like a freaking Kardashian?! She’s the bomb.com and does it all.
- Raw Juce. I mentioned this gem in my last Lifestyle Mag article because I literally have an addiction to their raw oatmeal parfaits. It is like crack. Really, healthy crack and I love it like a fat kid loves cake. You don’t even know. If you haven’t experienced it, you need to. It is hands down the best juice joint in Boca.
- Jennifer Haley Bags. This is a newer obsession via my person, Marni, and her “new mom friends” I have willingly embraced (because, Praise Yeezus, they are awesome and not duds I just have to tolerate – I’m looking at you Lynn and Shirley ;)) So, Jennifer Haley is local and makes the most GORGEOUS bags…and…SHE is just adorbs and a pleasure to be around, which is a bonus! After Marni got hers, I obviously needed one because that’s what best friends do (seriously, she has gotten legit pissed at me if I forget to tell her about a new lipstick or hair product I’m into). I bought two (so far) but really I wanted 20. They are that awesome. (And I’m not the only one who thinks so…many, and I mean MANY celebs are into them in a BIG way.)
- Casa D’Angelo. A little more than two years ago, this guy I met on Match.com picked me up for our first date and took me to Casa D’Angelo in Boca (one of the handful of incredible restaurants the group owns). We ordered the most unbelievable food (because that’s all they serve there) and then didn’t eat because we were SOOOO nervous. Because fate works in mysterious ways, he now works for the group and we have more than made up for our lack of eating the deliciousness they serve up. You can’t get better Italian.
- NK Threads. If you monogram it, they will come. These two local women do just that…and they come in droves. Seriously…they can (and do) personalize ANYTHING. I’ve bought shirts, bags, waterproof pouches for my kid’s wet bathing suit. You name it, they can personalize it and make it super cute. Last week I posted a pic of a hat I got from them and had like 6 girls in 30 seconds ask where they could get it.
This is just a glimpse into the things that I love in Boca (I haven’t even touched upon dade and broward), but I just might have to make this a regular feature. You might have also noticed a pattern of me forming friendships, rather than just being a patron, because this tends to happen with people and places I regularly go to. I just don’t know any other way!
AND HERE COMES THE GIVEAWAY!!!
The fabulous ladies at NK Threads are generously gifting a monogrammed wristlet (just like the one in the picture below, with the monogram of your choice) and here’s what you have to do to be entered to win – it’s only 2 super simple steps (and a bonus round if you choose):
- Share the Whine & Cheez(its) Facebook Page on your page (not just the post but the actual page).
- Comment on my Facebook post for this particular blog telling me what YOUR favorite local spot is and why.
- BONUS: There are also 2 ways to score bonus entries. 1) If you share the page or post on other social networks (Instagram, Twitter), you’ll get a bonus entry for each one, so be sure to tag Whine & Cheez(its) so I know (I’m whineandcheezits on insta and whinecheezits on twitter). 2) If you get your friends to “like” the Whine & Cheez(its) Facebook page (not just the post), you’ll get a bonus entry for each like. Just tag them in the comments of my post so I can see how they came to me and give you credit.
I’d also love to know if YOU share my affinity for these things and to know what you guys are into. Tell me what I need to try!